Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Lady in Red

Dear Readers,

Our world relies on semiotics. We have become accustomed to interpreting signs, although, some have problems with the aforementioned, including that driver who nearly sent me to heaven this morning after running a red light! In our minds, red is the colour of danger. It's also the colour of love.

Unless you're living on the moon, you know today is Valentine's day. Instead of dedicating today's post to hearts and all that jazz, I opted for a colour I wear rather sporadically. Having red hair means staying away from red as much possible, but I do have some favourite combinations, involving red, that I'm sharing with you all today.

Black, White and Red

This is definitely the most classic of my preferred red combinations. Nothing beats monochrome looks with a healthy pop of redness. Well, in reality the black and white do works in combination with any colour, but something works its magic even more when red is involved. 

This combination works in a myriad of forms. You can either go for smaller red accents against a background of black and white clothing. You can also choose red as the main colour and complement it with black and white accessories. If you want to break the combination with some metal jewellery, I would suggest gold. However, nothing works as well as a pearl! The look on the side is quite girly but the red tights and the motif on the top give it quite an added edgy feeling. As I said, I love pearls with such a look so I made sure to slip in a pair for you to see!








Leopard and Red

Rumour has it this is one of my guilty pleasures. It's no use denying that I have a thing for animal print, and even if I always advocate pairing it with more subtle, muted elements, I do love some red and animal print mixtures. Both elements are strong, I know, but they complement each other extremely well. Since the look is quite out there already, I always use a black canvas as a base to tone the wildness down. In the look I created on Polyvore, I added some cat eye glasses by Prada, just to make that extra little statement. 

I saw a pair of gorgeous leopard print jeans on sale at Zara last Saturday. I really should have given them a try in the fitting rooms. Maybe tomorrow? 









Red and Blue

This is the combination I need to stop forgetting ever so often. This very nautical look, evocative of those cartoon and postcard sailors, is an interesting way of playing around with red. I had done a red and blue OOTD back in Summer (it feels like ages ago!). 

To keep myself in the nautical theme, the look I created features some straw details, boat shoes, anchor earrings and obviously, some signature stripes. I'm definitely turning to this look when warmer weather decides to grace our cold-stricken country!











Happy Valentine's Day!

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment