Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Style Challenge: How to make a Fringe Top

Dear Readers,

I can come up with at least 534 reasons why I like to create/revamp clothes and accessories, but I'm going to mention just a few, because I'm lazy (and because you wouldn't read through 534 reasons. You're lazy too.)


  1. The clothes you make are unique and that kinda rocks doesn't it?
  2. You'll finally wear those clothes that have been hanging there for ages.
  3. You get that feeling of owning something new, without spending a fortune.
  4. It's fun. True Story.
  5. It quenches that insatiable thirst to create something. And you all know that I'm too thirsty, all the bloody time.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a fringe top. Fringe tops are huge at the moment, and I guess practically every major high-street store stocks them. Prices vary: New Look and H&M usually sell them for pretty cheap prices but you can find more expensive ones on the lovely ASOS website. You can buy as many fringe tops as you like, but I'm encouraging you to make one. Yes, you can make one because it's ridiculously easy. Admit it, you have t-shirts you haven't worn in ages. You don't really like them anymore but you just don't want to throw them away. Sometimes we get bored of wearing the same t-shirt over and over again (or rather, twice), but that t-shirt is too pretty to abandon in the bottomless pit of 'Clothes that I don't love anymore'. The answer to all these pressing issues is fringing. Trust me, there are around 500 scientific reports that can prove that.

Let's do this, rawr!

Time needed: about 20-30 minutes
What you will need: a t-shirt, a pair of good scissors

Steps:
1. Find a t-shirt you want to fringe. You can also choose a sleeveless top.
2. Try on your top and decide where you want your fringe to start. Usually it's beneath your chest or stomach area, but that's entirely up to you. You might also want to mark that spot to make it clearer for you.
3. Lay your top flat on the floor. Cut the top's hem. If you're fringing the sleeves as well, then cut the sleeves's hem as well.
4. Start cutting upwards towards your mark. Ideally do front and back at the same time. Try and make your fringes more or less equal in size. Repeat the same procedure for your sleeves if you're fringing them as well.
5. Once you've finished step four get ready for the fun part. GENTLY start pulling your fringes. This makes them look less odd and slightly thinner. (I wish I could pull my legs and make THEM look thinner, LOL). As I said, pull gently, or else you risk ripping them off, especially the ones on your sleeves!
6. C'est fini! Try it on and rock on :)

THAT WAS EASY SEE!

How I 'Defaced' my top (pun intended)

I hope many of you are looking through their t-shirt collection after reading this :) Happy Fringing!

-B

3 comments:

  1. wow its soo easy! wished I knew about this a month ago... its would have been the coolest festival attire!

    www.yanasdollhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Yana! ohhh really? wow, which festival did you go to? I really want to go ahh :(

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Rock Werchter Belgium... amazing experience and I'm not exactly camping/ festival type but had a blast. Saw Coldplay, Kings of Leon,Iron Maiden, Bruno Mars, Hurts, Linkin Park, Black Eyed Peas, Kesha and Brandon Flowers... loved it :)

    ReplyDelete