Sunday, 6 May 2012

Pronovias Bridal and Cocktail Show

Dear Readers,

It takes a lot to make someone incredibly disillusioned with marriage to want to tie the knot there and then. I have to admit that the sheer beauty of today's Bridal and Cocktail show by Pronovias managed to do just that. 

This year's edition of Malta Fashion Week opened with a breathtaking collection of bridal and cocktail wear, set against the majestic backdrop of the Casino Maltese in Valletta. Upon entering - and after consuming an utterly delicious red velvet mini cupcake - I found a seat just in front of the slightly intimidating staircase, beautifully decorated with metres of chiffon, little candles and pretty flower petals. Ambience? Check. This sixteenth century building is undoubtedly the perfect host for such a show.

The audience - it was fully booked, by the way! - soon turned its attention from the lovely details of the room to the incredible dresses that walked down the staircase. The collection showcased today was divided into two. The first consisted of a selection of bridal dresses, which included mermaid style frocks, flared skirt style dresses as well as a surprisingly varied collection of necklines. I spotted sweetheart necklines, one-shoulder dresses and other more traditional bustier style necklines. The collection definitely pays a great attention to detail, something which tends to grab attention (the good kind, obviously!). 

I particularly appreciated the different waistlines included in this collection. I feel like most bridal dresses stick to empire waistlines, but I was surprised to see drop waisted dresses, very reminiscent of the classic 1920s waistline. I also noted a very eye-catching yet subtle pearl detail on the back of one of the dresses, which obviously, reminded me of the Chanel SS2012 collection. I liked that, a lot.

Well, my favourite dress was one that seemed to be inspired by Grace Kelly's famous wedding gown. Plenty of lace, a long train and a high neckline which emphasises the bride's facial features.

My fear was that the gorgeousness of the bridal collection would overshadow the cocktail dresses selection. However, to my surprise, that clearly wasn't the case. The predominant colour of the cocktail wear showcased was blue. All shades of blue, there was something for everyone. Once again, I can't help but think of the underwater/marine trend that is so huge this Spring and connect this vast use of blue to it! There was also a smaller selection of black and neutral coloured attire, which undoubtedly, is popular with many wedding attendees. Appliques stole the limelight. The detail on some of the frocks was unbelievable, including flower inspired designs on a gorgeous tan coloured dress!

If you want to check out all the pictures from this show, please log on to my Facebook Fan Page and join the general drooling session. I also have a video uploading to my YouTube channel, so keep your eyes peeled.













 -B

2 comments:

  1. those dresses look amazing!!

    thanks for following :)

    http://kellinasthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome! the dresses were even more beautiful in real life heh xx

      Delete