Saturday, 6 August 2011

How to make the most of Final Discounts / Clearance Sales

Dear Readers,
Admit it, posters with writings like 'FINAL DISCOUNTS' or 'EVERYTHING AT 5 OR TEN EURO' tend to lure you into the shop. And, yeah, what's wrong with that? Everyone enjoys a good bargain every once in a while right? But, rather unfortunately, many of us tend to spend all our cash on 'impulse buys', commonly known as 'things I bought on the spur of the moment because it was so cheap' when we go to these clearance sales. I did it way too many times in the past, but I grew out of it and I learned to make the most of these rock-bottom prices. Here I am, sharing what I learned over the past years with you all.


They're hot!

  1. What do you need? Before going shopping, try to make a list of things that you really need in your wardrobe. I found that having 'a plan' helps you focus on what you need, and at the same time you avoid making too many impulse purchases. 
  2. Do you really need it? If you see me shopping, you might notice that I speak to myself sometimes. I'm continuously asking myself 'But, do I need this?' If the answer is no, then obviously don't buy it.
  3. Buy things you have been eyeing for a long time. I did this yesterday. There was this amazing blazer I have been trying on and dreaming about for ages. When I saw it at 5euro I obviously got it. That's acceptable :)
  4. Invest in basics. Do buy things that never go out of fashion/you wear constantly. These items include black dresses, blazers, jeans, shirts, plain tops, and black flats. You might also have your 'personal basics', ie. things which are signature to your style. In my case, these things include hats, hair accessories, blazers, statement rings and such jazz. I know I'm gonna wear those so I buy them if they're ridiculously cheap!
  5. Think about the coming season. Don't just buy things for this season. I tend to buy many jackets during the Summer sales, simply because jackets and coats are way too overpriced in Autumn/Winter. Think ahead, ladies and gentlemen!
  6. If you like following trends religiously, then check out what's going to be in next season and try to look for that trend amongst those very cheap sale items.


My 'Clearance' shopping yesterday. No Impulse Buys whatsoever :)

The key to successful 'clearance shopping' or 'sale shopping' is to be focussed! Don't get too excited (do you get excited? I do).

And remember, DO YOU REALLY NEED IT?

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment