Tuesday, 2 August 2011

The Inspiration Series #3: The Internet

Dear Readers,
What are you listening to at the moment? I'm hooked on Ellie Goulding. She has the most stunning voice my god. Truly talented!

Here comes post three from the Inspiration Series, in which I focus on one of the most addictive things since cigarettes: The Internet. I am an internetaholic and I guess I have no intention of changing that because the internet is such a good source of information. I assume you're wondering about how the internet can serve as a point of inspiration for you. Well, the internet is home to many fashion sites, fashion blogs and other websites that are perfect to keep updated with the latest from the world of style. Allow me to point out a few :)

LookBook.Nu
This is one of my daily 'must-visit' websites because it's probably one of the best street-style websites on this very polluted planet (notice the environmental comment there). LookBook users upload their outfit of the days, and other users comment, 'hype' (the Facebook equivalent would be the 'like'), and become 'fans' of users they like. However, you can simply use LookBook to browse through different looks and get some ideas for your next outfit. You don't even have to register to browse! But please, if you're obsessed with fashion do make a LookBook account and share some outfits with us. The more we are, the merrier. Oh, and this is my LookBook account :)

I love you LookBook

A similar site is Chictopia. I personally prefer LookBook but it's probably because I haven't been using Chictopia much lately. I'm gonna go back to it though, today. I promise.

Polyvore
Polyvore is so much fun! It's a like a lunapark ride, I swear. The best thing about Polyvore is that you can easily type in a word (like a trend, a particular type of clothing etc.) into the search box, and choose 'sets' from the drop-down menu to access a myriad of sets featuring that particular thing you searched for. From the home-page you can also view trending 'brands', 'sites', 'trends' (trending trends lol), and 'celebrities'. By simply clicking on anything listed, you'll be able to see hundreds of sets that can inspire even the most uninspired of fashionistas. You can also follow specific users if you like the sets they create. You can follow me, for example :P Have I mentioned that these sets are created by registered users? I guess I did now.

An example set from Polyvore 
YouTube
YouTube isn't just great to listen to music. It's also host to many fashion/style gurus that post outfit of the day videos, DIY tutorials, and haul videos. I warn you watching such people can be highly addictive. It's like watching a series or something similar. Well, there's nothing to add here. I mean you just sit down and watch and maybe leave a comment or two (your feedback is always welcome, obviously). We all have gurus which we like to follow, and the more you watch the more gurus you will discover. My personal favorites are UglyFaceOfBeauty, NiaSays, BeautyCrush, TheFashionCitizen, MrsEvally, HRH Collection, ClothesEncounters, BritPopPrincessshirleybeniang, and ThePersianBabe. I'm on YouTube too, but I'm still a newbie.

The amazing Sammi from BeautyCrush

Fashion Blogs
They say we should always leave the best for last right? I just did. There are millions of fashion blogs out there and all the bloggers are doing such a great job. I truly believe that fashion's future is in bloggers's hands. I am ever so convinced of that. Blogs may vary, some bloggers focus on DIY tutorials, other post fashion news, whilst others use their blogs as their personal fashion diaries. I personally follow hundreds of blogs and it wouldn't be fair to mention only a couple of them here. I can't mention them all either, so it's up to you to find some worthwhile bloggers. Just a little hint: try having a look at comment sections on blogs to find out more blogs you can follow. Be nice and hit the 'follow' or 'subscribe' button when you visit a blog. It will make the blogger happy and it will save you the task of logging into that website simply to check any updates. All the updates will be brought to you directly if you subscribe. You'll be immediately notified. Some bloggers also link their blogs to a Facebook page, which will notify all its followers with any updates. I did it too over here.

Since we are discussing blogs as a source of inspiration, I highly recommend blogs which focus on street-style like The Sartorialist, Face Hunter, and GlamCanyon.


I do.

Who said the internet was only there for porn and chatting?

-B

2 comments: