Sunday, 11 December 2011

Christmas Gift Ideas for Her

Dear Readers,

As promised, here are a few suggestions for all those who are wondering about what gift to buy their girlfriend, sister, friend, and why not, probably even their mum. These recommendations below are slightly more applicable to those fashion-conscious ladies. I find that fashionistas are very hard to shop for, they tend to be fussy and yeah, they already own most of the 'fashionable' things in the shops. So what can you buy for these girls?


Gifts for Her



1. Not Clothes: Yes I said it, I said it because I can. Apologies for quoting dear old Bruno over there, but that should help to drive my point home. Clothes are the most difficult thing to ace if you're buying a gift for a fashion-oriented lady. Unless you have a complete understanding of that girl's style, then don't give her clothes. The safest option, in terms of clothing, would be a cardigan or a sweater, preferably a very festive one.

2. Rings: If you're thinking about gifting a piece of jewellery, then I think the less risky option are rings. If possible, try and find out the girl's ring size to avoid getting one which doesn't fit right! The cheaper side of the coin are statement rings available from all the main high-street shops like New Look, Peacocks, Miss Selfridge and the like. Then, if you're willing to fork out some extra cash, the YSL Arty Ring is the way to go. This ring is the ring at the moment, and since I have it already, I can tell you it does dress up any outfit. YSL Arty rings come in a myriad of colours so the choice is really good!

3. Watches: The watch par excellence, at present, is the Michael Kors Rose Gold watch, but it does cost quite a bit of money. For a more affordable option, look for similar designs on market stalls or vintage shops. I'm not encouraging you to get a knock-off! No, especially for someone who knows fashion like the back of their hand. Instead, try to find something that's chunky, slightly manly and metallic in colour and it should do. With androgyny sweeping through the world of fashion as it currently is, these type of watches are a must-have!

4. A Vogue Cover: Whereas this might initially come across as suggestion to contact Anna Wintour and beg her to put your girlfriend's picture on the next issue of American Vogue, the real recommendation is much simpler and surprisingly inexpensive. Look up the Vogue cover from the month the girl was born in and frame it. For those who wouldn't mind making an extra effort, look up some random facts about that cover / that issue and write them down on a piece of metallic cardboard and put it at the back of the frame. I gifted this to myself, true story.

5. A Magazine Subscription: Fashionistas need magazines, and especially for those residing in Malta, they might find it tasking to find most of them here on our tiny island. I would love it if someone paid me an entire year of Vogue (hint, hint!), because not only will it be cheaper than buying each issue separately, but the present will also last for an entire year. I think you can also get shorter subscriptions, like 3 month or 6 month ones, and there are so many mags to choose from!

6. Fashion Books: I know that books aren't the first thing you might think of gifting to a fashionista, but considering the sheer variety of quality fashion books out there, you should really give it a thought. Whether it's a Coco Chanel biography, a dictionary of fashion terminology or a street style book, a fashion-conscious woman is bound to enjoy it!

7. Pearls: Welcome to 'safe land'. Irrespective of that totally untrue statement - namely 'you either like diamonds or pearls' - I believe that everyone needs pearl earrings. Whereas I highly discourage buying chandelier earrings and the like - those are way to tricky to get right - I recommend getting a nice pair of plain pearl studs. These earrings are versatile, subtle, classy and most of all, very, very useful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment