Now that I've finally caught up with all the fashion from New York's most stylish week of the season, I'm able to give you the low-down on my three favourites. To be frank with you all, I would have never expected myself to choose these three designers. Not that I don't like them, of course, but I guess my eyes were set on others who ultimately disappointed me. These 'others' are Michael Kors and Alexander Wang in particular. As far as I'm concerned, the three undisputed jewels of New York Fashion Week were Calvin Klein, Oscar de la Renta and most particularly, Ralph Lauren. Each collection embraces a specific element I expect my clothes to have: minimalism, French prettiness and clean-cut androgyny.
Calvin Klein
I can't say I'm much of a Kleinster. Year after year, I feel like other collections overshadow the ones by Francisco Costa. Strangely enough, however, his Fall 2012 collection made me swoon repetitively. It must be the perfect combination between ladylike silhouettes and edgy details that won me over. Most of the pieces focussed on the waist, with belts cinching in the models' figures into an hourglass shape, yet the fabrics used were of a bold, edgy kind. Colours were generally dark, except for a handful of coral numbers which provided an interesting alternative to the mainly obscure colour choice. This is minimalism at its finest.
![]() |
| Calvin Klein |
Oscar de la Renta
Oscar de la Renta is a designer I deeply admire, however I can't say I've ever seen his collections as a major source of inspiration. I was pleasantly surprised by this year's Fall collection though, especially since it reminded me of Chanel and French glamour in particular. What fascinated me the most was the designer's choice of powdery pastels as his main colours, with numbers in blue, pink and peaches. Worth a mention is the way Oscar de la Renta used multiple fabrics, sometimes mixing textures in the same outfit, since it adds a playful dimension to his collection. Overall, this very feminine collection was probably my favourite of de la Renta's ever!
![]() |
| Oscar de la Renta |
Ralph Lauren
Hats off to Ralph Lauren! I can hardly think of another collection (excluding anything Chanel of course!) that impressed me so much from beginning to end. As per usual, I don't tend to drool at every single piece that graces the runway, but this time, I swear I did. The collection started with men inspired pieces. Or should I say newspaper boy inspired? That's what they reminded me of. These tailored androgynous numbers then made way for more feminine cuts, ending with a full-on glamour bonanza and fluid silhouettes. It takes skill to make me reconsider wearing metallics, and well, Ralph Lauren just did! Oh, and those hats. I love them too. God bless you Ralph Lauren.
![]() |
| Ralph Lauren |
I can't say NYFW presented too many worthwhile collections. Here's hoping London fairs better! (although we know Paris always wins.)
-B



No comments:
Post a Comment