Thursday, 10 May 2012

Fleur Kelinza

Dear Readers,

I have to admit that I approached tonight's show with a very open mind since I had no idea what to expect out of designer Fleur Kelinza. Ironically, I am more informed about the upcoming designers of tomorrow's 'New Designers Show' than I was about the Miss Kelinza. Having no expectations is a good thing though, it helps you to be more objective.

The fourth show of this year's Malta Fashion Week took me to The Villa, at the Corinthia Palace & SPA in Attard. Up tonight was British designer Fleur Kelinza, with a very varied selection of cocktail and elegant dresses. I believe that there's always a specific word that can describe a collection, and whereas 'contrast' was the it-word for Charles and Ron's collection last Monday, the term that best underlines Fleur Kelinza's work is 'variety'.

Shall we look at the variety of silhouettes in the collection? From a very Chanel-looking white woollen coat,  to floor-sweeping mermaid dresses and a very particular yellow and black prom style dress: you could barely keep up with it all!

Worth a particular mention is the variety (yes, again!) of fabrics utilised. After the show, I briefly discussed this specific aspect with some of the attendees as well as with a handful of other local bloggers, and we all more or less agreed that one of the focal points of tonight's show was the use of different textiles. Moreover, considering that the same collection is also rich in texture, the entire show was a celebration of variety. Did I mention the ostrich feather train? How's that for texture?

It is inevitable for me not to re-mention the white and black wool coat. By far, this is the piece I'd love to steal for myself if I could. You should know that I'm not the biggest fan of white coats, but this number was so well made it won me over. I adore the contrasting black trimming, buttons and collar. Monochrome always works, fact!

I had the opportunity to ask Fleur Kelinza what inspired such a diverse collection. I couldn't see a common theme in the collection's entirety, so I was curious to find out what her say on that was. Interestingly, Fleur told me that there was no one main inspiration source behind the collection, but quite a few random and unexpected sources instead. Hearing that from the designer herself confirmed that the sense of a lacking leitmotif was, in fact, intentional.

All the photos from tonight's show are going to be on my Facebook Page shortly.






-B

No comments:

Post a Comment