During my many years of fashion blog hunting, before I got down to do my own thing too, I always said to myself that at the end of every year, I would do a 'top fashion moments' post. Here I am.
I am not that big-headed to say that the birth of Boffism was one of the most important things in the fashion industry this year. However, running a blog made me ever so aware of all the little things that happened over the past year. Readers, these are the fashion moments that I'm going to recall every single time someone mentions 2011. In no particular order, here they are.
1. Chanel SS2012 at Paris Fashion Week
This is probably the fashion moment of the year. I wouldn't dare say of the decade, probably Mr. Lagerfeld will conjure up something even more breathtaking in 2012! Anyway, from his underwater inspiration to Florence Welch singing during the show, I loved it so much I had to write about it in my article for Manic.
2. The Downfall of Galliano
The large number of people who have heard about the collapse of the fashion industry's favourite tragic hero is utterly surprising. To think that most of them don't even give a fork about him or Dior. That goes to show that the entire Galliano drama characterised 2011. Point.
3. Louboutin's Red Sole Drama
Speaking about drama, I can't forget the one surrounding Christian Louboutin's red soles. Last week a friend of mine told me that these 'are just soles', but honey, they're not. Spotting common shoes with red soles in shops is something I still can't get used to.
4. Versace for H&M
I've written about it and I've given you my take on it, but irrespective of what my personal tastes dictate, I can't deny that this collection has indeed been one of fashion's most discussed topics. And, guess what, it should be a subject for debate next year too. Versace intends to hang on to its romance with H&M next year!
5. The Royal Wedding
Pippa Middleton who? That is what many of us would have said in 2010, but not in 2011! The whole 'who is designing the dress' issue and the 'who wore what' talk was enough to award the Royal Wedding a place on my list.
6. THOSE Hats.
Now, technically, this should have been included with the 'Royal Wedding' part, but whenever I look at the hats worn by Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie, I can't help but think of them as being separate from the rest of the wedding! Who hasn't heard of - and probably laughed at - those hats?
7. The Benches at Balenciaga
Oh no they didn't! Oh yes they did! The benches at the Balenciaga SS2012 show in Paris broke, leaving members of the fashion royal family, including Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington, standing. How can I forget tweets like the one by Anna Dello Russo, who exclaimed that everyone was 'standing like in a church!'. Priceless.
8. Kanye West and his lack of talent
Kanye West is as useless as a pair of flip flops in the winter snow. I mean, why does this so-called rapper want to meddle with design. Go back to the studio, Kanye!
9. Minaj and Wintour sitting next to each other
Oh, don't get me started on this again! I seriously cannot fathom why these two completely opposite people should choose adjacent chairs during a fashion show. Enough said.
10. Fendi SS2012
Call me a Lagerfeld junkie, I don't care. I loved everything he has done at Chanel this year - also including his AW11/12 collection - but I believe that his work for the Fendi SS2012 was just as impeccable. Please do watch the show. Your life will improve.
Obviously, other fashion moments have characterised this very eventful year. Yet, you do understand that I couldn't include them all. Additionally, I wanted to keep this post shorter than Kim K's wedding :)
-B





"Additionally, I wanted to keep this post shorter than Kim K's wedding :)"
ReplyDeleteThat was a very itchy moment. Oh wait - I dropped the "B" somewhere ahahha.
But made my day hahahha.
Lol good one Lara!! I feel the same as you do on the common shoes with red soles. I feel they are somehow offending Mr. Louboutin
ReplyDelete