I think I've hardly ever had a conversation about socks, excluding the couple of times where my dialogue partner and myself complained about getting the umpteenth pair of socks for Christmas. Up to a few months ago, I would even have yawned at the very idea of writing about them, but since I'm developing a little obsession with socks lately, a post was due.
Now I'm aware that it's high time I start switching to my sandals, but since I'm not the biggest fan of my toes I tend to delay that transition for the longest time possible. You might be telling yourself, 'it's too hot for closed shoes... let alone closed shoes and socks!'. True, but frankly, even if I had perfect toes I'd probably still hold on tightly to my brogues because, as I always repeat, I'm the brogue type of person. Nothing matches my clothes as they do. And my feet have to deal with that, heat or no heat.
So yes, I shall be wearing socks this Summer even if I have to install a mini fan in my shoes to cool down the most boiling of temperatures.
Neutral Socks
Neutral coloured socks are probably the easiest to wear. Pick a pair of grey, white, black or brown socks according to the colour scheme of your outfit and, most importantly, your shoe. I personally find that white and grey look best with warm-toned outfits, whereas colder hues usually do better with a black pair.
In this Polyvore set, I paired a pair of neutral socks with pumps. I remember seeing this look on quite a couple of runway shows, even a local one, the one by Curpina at September's edition of Runway! I find that socks and pumps are the 'grown-up' way of doing the look, but I personally suggest getting socks that are a few inches higher than the ankles. It's a personal preference I guess. Just make sure they're not knee-high length though!
Pretty Socks
Surprise, surprise! These are my most worn types. I like wearing them with brogues, midi-length clothing and even shorts! They're so sweet...the Milka chocolate of sock world. The classic pair of pretty socks are usually white - which is a good thing! It matches everything, woohoo! - and they usually come up to the ankle. In this set, I went for a Peter Pan collar dress, brogues, a satchel and obviously white socks with frill details. I've had something similar on just yesterday!
Statement Socks
I was in Peacocks yesterday randomly walking around the shop, reached the socks section and saw a pair of polka dot socks. The first thing that came to my mind at that point was 'wow, I need these'. I didn't buy them - I was hit by a very uncommon bout of responsibility - but I'm totally getting them tomorrow. Printed, bright coloured or more 'daring' socks work great as statement pieces. They add that unexpected - because really, how many people use socks to make a statement? - detail to a look. I'd keep the rest as simple as possible, maybe neutrals or pieces from the same colour family?
I'll share pictures of the socks I'm buying tomorrow!
-B



No comments:
Post a Comment